Are you an experienced accounting professional who’s in search of the next step? One where you are positioned to make a positive impact within a growing company? Mowery & Schoenfeld’s client, a growing retail business based in Chicago, is seeking a Controller to oversee the accounting function and financial reporting for multiple companies. This individual’s dynamic leadership of the accounting teams will produce comprehensive financial reporting and analyses, improve internal controls and operational efficiency, and support continued growth.
- Previous experience (total of 10 years preferred) in the accounting profession, with a minimum of 3 years in a management or assistant controller role
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- Licensed CPA preferred
- Experience within the retail or real estate industries is preferred
- Strong critical thinking, analytical, problem solving skills
- Excellent communicator with dynamic leadership abilities
- Proficiency with QuickBooks Enterprises and Microsoft Dynamics 365 programs
- Working knowledge of federal, state, and local tax compliance regulations and reporting
- Oversee and support the accounting teams with all daily accounting activities – sales and accounts receivable, purchases and accounts payable, inventory management, cash collections and disbursements, account reconciliations.
- Manage and monitor all books of accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate standards and regulatory requirements.
- Manage the month-end financial closing process, facilitate the financial reporting function, and prepare analyses to assist senior management and company ownership with operational and financial decision-making.
- Serve as primary contact for the external tax accountants and Client Accounting Service team
- Conduct routine internal audits to assess financial status and compliance with existing internal controls
- Develop and implement new internal controls as needed to maximize protection of company assets and integrity of financial data and reporting
- Develop standardized SOPs for the accounting function with the goal of increasing operational and workflow efficiency and streamline financial reporting
- Assist with integration of multiple accounting platforms and the implementation of any new software applications as needed
- Ensure compliance with all relevant federal, state and local regulations by remaining knowledgeable about existing, new, and future legislation
- Enhance the internal budgeting process and help drive company profitability by identifying areas of cost savings